May 9, 2014

The "cannot unsee" phenomenon.

Example:

From "Things You Cannot Unsee (and What That Says About Your Brain)/We're going to rewire your brain. Are you ready?" — which has lots of other examples and interesting discussion.
It is not that the real world doesn't exist, but more that we experience it as a hybrid reality: our top-down categories and imagination of the world and our bottom-up sensory experience of the world blend seamlessly into the experience of walking outside into the sunshine or seeing a bird on a wire or eating an oyster or seeing Jesus in a tortilla.

7 comments:

Titus said...

I like that....a lot

Roughcoat said...

Where is the young woman? I saw the old woman but not the young woman.

The Godfather said...

I didn't see the young woman either, but I get the point. However, speaking generally, I don't think it's true that you can't "unsee" one version of an image after you've seen it. I see both, shifting back and forth between them.

To me, the phrase "I can't unsee that" refers, for example, to seeing a picture of Nancy Pelosi naked. You will go to your grave with that image on your mind, and happy to go to Hell if only that image can be taken away from you. (BTW, if Satan promises he will grant that wish, don't believe him.)

Ann Althouse said...

Wow! I am incapable of seeing the old woman!

wildswan said...

EH Gombrich, an art historian, used to write about seeing images. He brought up something called the heuristic circle - to understand the beginning of a sentence you need to know what the whole sentence says which you can't know till the end but you can't interpret the end till you know the beginning.

Marc in Eugene said...

I've tried for five minutes and cannot see the old woman, although I immediately saw the young (or, as the chart in the Atlantic describes the images, 'wife/mother-in-law').

RLB_IV said...

To see the old woman focus on the young woman's chin. Her chin is the bottom of the old woman's nose.