May 18, 2007

Blogger thinks my blog is a spam blog!

UPDATE: Why was the original post here missing its text? Because Blogger is trying to detect spam blogs and thinks my blog is one of them, apparently because I post a lot. It is not only imposing a word verification step on my posting process, but it has twice erased the text of a post I'd written. Another new Blogger feature is "autosave." It supposedly saves your writing every minute automatically. Maybe the spam detection and the autosave are colliding buggily. How annoying!

ADDED: I guess this is the whole answer I need (from the linked page):
If you make a large number of posts in a single day, you will be required to complete a word verification for each one, independent of whether your blog has been cleared as a potential spam or not. If this happens to you, simply complete the word verification for each post, or wait 24 hours, at which point it will be removed automatically.

This restriction is in place as much to control the load on our servers as to prevent explicit spam. Therefore, there is not a whitelisting review process to exempt individual blogs.

But why was today the first time I triggered this device? Was yesterday my biggest posting day ever?

16 comments:

Irene Done said...

Autosave is not working for me and neither does the save button -- it's been a real pain.

Pete Fanning said...

Ah....being an independent is so nice....

AmPowerBlog said...

That is really, really lame. Your frequent posts are the coolest! Spam blog? Yeah, right. And we still love Blogger?

Burkean Reflections

Swifty Quick said...

Blogger is to blogging as paint-by-numbers is to painting.

If you really want to have a first-rate blog which is totally the product of your expression, and over which you have complete mastery and control in every aspect and detail, then you need to migrate your blog away from Blogger.

Make that plunge.

Ann Althouse said...

Blogger was very good about fixing my last problem, and I think Google is pouring resources into making Blogger great. The idea that I'd be better off dealing with everything myself... I believe there are problems in all directions, and I trust Google a lot more than I trust myself.

Pete Fanning said...

I trust myself more than I trust Google.

dbp said...

Ann,

I don't know if you set a personal record, but you did post a lot yesterday. So that could be what triggered the whole spam thing. Google (blogspot) really should have a whitelisting for its top blogs.

dbp

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Yesterday was the first day they introduced the "upgrade" on my blog. So it's working--they nabbed you, oh high-volume-poster, on the first day.

paul a'barge said...

LOL.

Was one of the work verifications getalife?

Zeb Quinn said...

Your blog has grown beyond being a little hobby. To your credit you have brought it along to where it is now one of the big dogs. Out of respect to what you have created you should treat it with more respect than having it be a blogger blog.

I am certain that over the last few years you have learned enough HTML and other scripting that you will find the learning curve not as steep as you might imagine.

Besides, every webdev type I know --and I know many-- regards themselves as an artist to one degree or another. The artist in you will love it.

Ann Althouse said...

Zeb: I just have other priorities. Because I post a lot, it may look like I have tons of free time, but I'm busy all the time... often blogging. I want to do it, not get ready to do it.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Ann I am sure you know yiu have a real knack for taking great photos. But I think you should indulge yourself and buy one of these cool cars.

Ann Althouse said...

I think my car-- an Audi TT coupe -- is cool! The lease is up in January though, so I do have to think about how to replace it.

mythusmage said...

Wordpress.com. A superior blogging platform, and a superior blogging host. Free even. And they have a better answer to SPAM.

As I told Zoe, you deserve a better blogging platform.

Ann Althouse said...

Blogger has been working quite well, actually. The false spam thing went away in less than a day, and if it doesn't recur, it's really nothing. New Blogger has been working well, and they are now adding more features. I think betting on Google makes sense. It would take a lot to get me to switch. (And it's not about the money.)

Fred said...

I like spam, goes well with potatoes and flour tortillas.