June 22, 2005

"If you want to be the next president, it's time to start running..."

"...unless your name is Hillary Rodham Clinton or John McCain."
According to AP political writer Ron Fournier, now is the brief window of opportunity. Joe Biden "gets it," along with a few others.
McCain and Clinton will [try to] stay out of the fray for months — better to avoid the glare and grind as long as possible.
Seems to me McCain is jumping into the spotlight. He did a whole hour of "Meet the Press" on Sunday and talked about wanting to be President, even as he coyly declined to speculate about who he'd pick for VP.
If he seeks the presidency, McCain's challenge would be maintain his appeal to moderates while highlighting in the GOP nomination fight his support of Bush on Iraq and the war on terrorism.
I'm prepared to read that stock observation at least a thousand times in the next year or so. Am I already weary of the next election? Can't we let a year pass before we gear up again? I think it's that we like to talk about politics, but it's too much trouble to analyze issues in any sort of substantive way. It's so much more our thing to talk about personalities. Tom Cruise is acting strange... Biden is trying to look like a candidate...

5 comments:

DaveG said...

"His appeal to moderates?"

Guess I have to re-define myself again as I considered myself a moderate right up until a few seconds ago when I learned that McCain was supposed to appeal to me. The McCain-Feingold Act alone was enough to convince me that I'd never vote for him, and nothing more recent has done a thing to sway my opinion.

tiggeril said...

Good god, can't they at least wait until 2006 or 2007? My lefty friends have just now started speaking to me again.

Miranda said...

Can't we get through the mid-term congressional races? Ugh. Besides, I just made up with all my righty friends and I'd like to maximize the amount of good times I can have with them.

I like Hillary, but I don't think she stands a chance getting elected. After four terms of very polarizing figures, we need someone who can truly reach out to the "other side."

Not like that person will get much in the way of $$ from either the lefty or righty base. Oh, well. I'll just keeping living in the utopia in my head while this circus plays itself out for the next three years.

goesh said...

We want Howie! We want Howie! The gift that just keeps on giving to the GOP.

Freeman Hunt said...

I'm still in "let's draft Condi" mode.