October 23, 2004

What's with the bleak tone this morning?

And 5 posts before 7 a.m.? What's got into you? I don't know, but I will say I got up at 1:30 a.m. this morning. I've been up for 6 hours and it still isn't light out. It's a dark, rainy morning here in Madison, Wisconsin. (Did I mention I'm in Madison?) It's homecoming day. Jubilant Badger fans will descend on my little neighborhood momentarily. The firecrackers that topped off Friday's revelries were heard late into the night. Let's hope the Badgers play well in rain. We're playing the Wildcats. I'm not a sports fan, but I find it aesthetically appealing when the teams are named after animals that you can actually picture fighting. Badgers should be playing Wildcats, not Buckeyes and Boilermakers (whatever those might be).

UPDATE: I was taking a much needed nap at around 9 in the morning when the phone rang. I jumped awake and grabbed the phone and said "hello" a couple times to a dead line. Then a voice barks: "I'm Ann Richards, former Governor of Texas ..." Yeah, I know, you just called me last night. Don't you have anything better to do with George Soros's money? I have been called every damn day to be told to register to vote, to work to register other people to vote, to vote, or to work to get out the vote. Since yesterday, I've been getting the special appeal to women form of the get-out-the-vote nagging. Leave me alone! Don't you know that I'm on the do-not-call list and I would block your call if you bastards hadn't exempted yourselves? Don't you know that I needed that nap?

3 comments:

Meade said...

Bastards indeed!. Isn't the right to pursue uninterrupted naps codified somewhere in the U.S. Constitution? If it isn't, it should be and someday when I'm President, I will put it there. And then I will take a nap. Finally.

You are right about Buckeyes but mistaken about Boilermakers who were the big burly workers at the nearby Monon train works who, in the early years of Purdue University, were hired in as ringers in Purdue's otherwise underdog football match-ups with the otherwise superior Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.

So Purdue cheated, yes, but they made up for it by openly making the Boilermakers a school symbol and giving each of those big dumb roughnecks a bucket of beer and an honorary degree in Agriculture.

A Buckeye, on the other hand, is nothing more than a (barely) edible nut.

Ann Althouse said...

Since when do big burly guys fight vicious little weasels? Is that aesthetically appealing? Maybe it is. There aren't many sports where human beings and non-human animals compete with each other.

Meade said...

"vicious little weasels"

Ha ha! That is what we would call your team when they, on the rare occasion, would squeak by our Boilermakers. Otherwise, normally, they were just adorable cute little bucky badgers. Thanks for the W, adorable cute little bucky badgers! See ya next time. That was back in the 60's and 70's. Sometime later, the U of W grew a right wing or something and now they field teams that are formidable and to be respected by the rest of the best.

We Boilermakers are what we are. I, for instance, have killed bears with my bare hands. No lie.

Well, my bare hands and a bare rock or two.

Remember: It's not the size of the Boilermaker in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Boilermaker.

Now hail, hail to Ol' Purdue!