June 14, 2015

"I never called him Prince because I wanted him to be a person to me, not the man behind Purple Rain."

"Plus, technically, I was married to the Symbol. Our house was full of them, but I just couldn’t say the word. When we got married it was much easier. If someone else was there I could say, 'Could I speak to my husband please?'"
Neither did they ever go out on a date. 'I doubt any woman ever has... he’s not really a cinema kinda guy," she says...

"When I was with him he always wore these little stiletto heels – I don’t know what size he was but I could put my feet into his shoes. But I never felt his insecurity in height... We last spoke about five years ago when I reached out to him. There is no animosity or bad blood, and he was my husband and the father of my child. So although I am not actively in love with him, I will always love him – he’s a great guy."
(The child died a week after he was born.)

ADDED: She could have called him Art, short for The Artist Formerly Known as Prince. Or Girlfriend, for "If I Was Your Girlfriend."

14 comments:

MayBee said...

So her name doesn't even get mentioned in the post or tags? How marginalizing! The woman as the prop for the man.

Birches said...

I thought it was weird that a woman was too insecure to ask Prince what she should call him, then I read the article. The age difference probably allowed that to happen.

Chris N said...

The rain sounds so cool when it hits the barn roof
And the horses wonder who you are

rhhardin said...

I've heard of him only through his name change, if he changed his name, though what he changed it to I couldn't say. I gather it was prince.

Does he scream and play loud? That would account for it.

MisterBuddwing said...

He was born Prince Roger Nelson. I should think any one of those names would do, as far as friends were concerned.

Yancey Ward said...

Prince has been a singular kind of celebrity- the non-celebrity, celebrity. Can't think of a celebrity quite like that.

n.n said...

The child died a week after he was born

A chaotic process is unpredictable outside of a limited frame of reference (i.e. "scientific").

Bleach Drinkers Curing Coronavirus Together said...

That's actually really sad.

Mark O said...

Through a friend who bought it in the late 90's I have been in Prince's Hollywood Hills house. It was, when he sold it to my friend, entirely purple on the inside. My friend left a few rooms that color.

Does anyone else remember the school-girl reaction of Bryant Gumbel when Prince was on Gumbel's final Today show? Creepy.

walter said...

"Playing electric guitar your whole life does something to you. I'm convinced all that electricity racing through my body made me keep my hair."

I bet he is...

Aussie Pundit said...

fun fact: His birth name actually is "Prince." That's not a stage name, like Madonna or Bono or whatever - that's just his actual first name.

Unfortunately he got screwed by Big Music and doesn't own the trademark rights to to it, hence the "lovesign" thing.

Bad Lieutenant said...

n.n said...
The child died a week after he was born

A chaotic process is unpredictable outside of a limited frame of reference (i.e. "scientific").
6/14/15, 1:51 PM

What kind of a fucking monomaniacal monster are you?

Robert Cook said...

"That's not a stage name, like Madonna or Bono or whatever...."

Madonna was born Madonna Louise Ciccone.

Aussie Pundit said...

Madonna was born Madonna Louise Ciccone.

Well how about that? Bad example on my part! Thanks for the info.