April 25, 2015

"How does he whistle like this? I can't even whistle at all!"

John asks, linking to "The Jazz Whistler - Ron McCroby."

I clicked and played it out loud here at Meadhouse.

Me: "Listen to this. He's whistling."

Meade: "It's not that good. If that was a flute, I'd say, get a better flute."

ADDED: Jay Gilbert sends an important email:
I wish more attention would be given to Ron McCroby's other contribution to American culture: most of the TV ads for Kenner Toys from the 60s through the 80s.

I worked in music for advertising during the latter part of that era, and met Ron a few times. Kenner was based in Cincinnati then, as was its ad agency (Leonard Sive Advertising). Long before his notoriety in whistling, Ron was composing and producing music (and many of the voiceovers, serious $$$) for the latest spots featuring Play-Doh, Easy-Bake Ovens, Baby Alive, etc. He probably could have made a case for being the most consistently-heard talent on Saturday morning TV.

5 comments:

Michael The Magnificent said...

That's one hepcat!

Brian McKim and/or Traci Skene said...

"Jazz whistling," like scat singing, has always made my skin crawl.

Char Char Binks, Esq. said...

Even worse than jazz flute.

ken in tx said...

If you can whistle a tune, keep in practice. Unfortunately I didn't and now I can't anymore.

cassandra lite said...

Dear Meade:

Mr. Ed couldn't carry a tune.