December 18, 2014

"But white collar vs. blue collar is not interesting enough."

"My mom and dad were visiting and I’m looking at all the contestants thinking, how can we break these people up? And there was clearly a group of educated, white collar types. And there was clearly a group of blue collar types. But white collar vs. blue collar is not interesting enough. That’s kind of the mixture in our show all the time. But I kept looking at this other group and there was a guy who worked down on the beach, and a woman on a sailboat, and an artist, jeweler, musician, actor, athlete. And I kept starting at them, and all of a sudden it just hit me—the term 'No Collar.' And those are the people that break the rules. And once that came out, I felt like we had the theme, which was: make the rules, follow the rules, break the rules. One says, 'I represent the status quo, we’re going to do it my way, I’m in charge.' The next says, 'I got the rules, let me get out there and get ‘em done for you.' And the next says, 'F— your rules! Here’s what I’m doing.'"

8 comments:

Original Mike said...

Natalie deserved her victory.

Ann Althouse said...

"Natalie deserved her victory."

Because everyone else was dumb. Her moves were impressive because idiots fell for them.

And apparently, she did them while "blacked out"!

What a bad season!

Original Mike said...

Yeah, there weren't too many "winners" this season. We were actually rooting for Keith at the end, even though he was the patron saint of dumb.

Ann Althouse said...

We were rooting for Keith too. The triumph of dumb.

"Stick to the plan!"

Ann Althouse said...

And what was with lavishing praise on the gay guys for their Christianity? I don't remember religion determining any of their words or actions. The "reunion" show was incoherent in making a huge deal out of: 1. All the Christian-oriented good they were supposedly doing out in the world (only by being on the show while Christian and gay), and 2. Reed's "evil stepmother" tirade (and refusing to apologize).

Christy said...

I cheered the evil stepmother tirade.

Natalie sealed it with her blindside of daughter dearest.

mikee said...

I ain't watching until they start human sacrifices. Even then, probably not.

Original Mike said...

I enjoyed the story of Keith's fellow firemen teasing him with "Stick with the plan!"