August 5, 2013

"The cultured meat is originally white; the burger had to be coloured with beetroot juice."

"The burger was cooked by chef Richard McGowan, from Cornwall, and tasted by food critics Hanni Ruetzler and Josh Schonwald."
Upon tasting the burger, Austrian food researcher Ms Ruetzler said: "I was expecting the texture to be more soft... there is quite some intense taste; it's close to meat, but it's not that juicy. The consistency is perfect... This is meat to me. It's not falling apart."

Food writer Mr Schonwald said: "The mouthfeel is like meat. I miss the fat, there's a leanness to it, but the general bite feels like a hamburger. What was consistently different was flavour."
Consistently different. What does it mean? What an awful slogan that would make. The whole point is to make it taste the same as beef, which is the desired consistency. Alternate slogan idea: We take the other white meat, and "beet" it red.

10 comments:

MadisonMan said...

I think it's a dumb idea to grow beef for consumption in this way, but in an economy where corn is burned to drive a car, why not? (I couldn't eat the meat -- beets and I have a love/hate relationship -- I love them, they hate me).

Still, I suspect the knowledge that comes out of this experiment will be helpful for non-meatmaking things, so kudos to Sergey Brin for bankrolling this.

LYNNDH said...

Soylant Green, or should we now say Soylant Red.

aronamos said...

cultured meat is originally white

Racist.

Alex said...

Liberal hippies can have their vat-grown "burgers", leaving the real thing to me.

victoria said...

Nasty. No thanks.


Vicki from Pasadena

cubanbob said...

Isn't it just cheaper and simpler to use Hamburger Helper or eat soy burgers?

David said...

Yuk. Barf. Etc.

Anonymous said...

My beef better have mooed in a previous life.

Smilin' Jack said...

The whole point is to make it taste the same as beef....

Why can't we make it taste better than beef? Cows didn't evolve to be eaten any more than horses to be ridden, and Ford didn't get rich making artificial horses.

Clyde said...

Beetf. It's what's for dinner.