January 3, 2009

We were talking about khat, and Kev said...

"I thought khat-blogging had kind of gone out of style lately."

I thought I'd do a post with a LOLcat, saying something on this theme, so I went to Flickr to find a picture of a cat, and I got pleasantly distracted by this comment on the photograph that I blogged yesterday. Screen grab:



See? The commenter — jjmadison — has a cat face avatar and his comment — "wow, all that on two packs of Splenda??" — continues the drug theme. Ah! My drug of choice is synchronicity. I'm high on it now. I'm even singing: Oh! Oh! Oh!

Not really, but I do have to shout above the din of my Rice Krispies.

Now, somewhat giddy, I do still want to make that LOLcat, and I search my Flickr photographs for "cat." But I haven't been good about labels over there, and the collection of "cat"-labeled photos seems a bit absurd. There's a latte with a foam cat face. A picture of a poster that says "Don't Shoot the Cat." There's the very young me with a cat and my same-age son with a cat:

Me with an unknown cat Chris and Ramona

[ADDED: Yes, Chris is holding a "Hilter cat" and we were just talking about Facebook groups like "G-D BLESS HITLER," but stay away from the Nazi synchronicity. The brown-shirt acid that is circulating around us is not specifically too good.]

There are the pages from my Amsterdam sketchbook about the Cat Museum — the Katten Kabinet. There are some bat orts.

Most absurd, there is a set of LOLcats, made from photos taken of paused — pawsed — frames from the movie "La Dolce Vita."

What was that all about? Don't you remember back on August 11, 2007, when TRex said "Every time I look in over [at Althouse], something so weird is going on that I feel like I just bumbled on to the set of a Fellini film," and I was all:

"Im in ur hair/Lickin ur i"
"Im ur soul/gettin outta heer"
"Ur head/my roller coaster"
"Im ur/windsheeled wipurrz"
But these Rice Krispies were enough, and I don't want an egg at this hour. So I look to you, dear readers, to pick up Kev's khat-blogging theme and make some LOLcats. You can make them here, and you can email them to me at annalthouse (at) gmail (dot) com.

I'd love to pass out some of the Althouse blog drugs: frontpaging and tags.

And I'm hoping TRex will bumble over here and see that something weird is going on. And also that something crawls from the slime at the bottom of a dark Scottish lake.

UPDATE: From Lem:



AND: From Zachary Paul Sire:



AND: From Palladian:



From Kev (who started all this):

36 comments:

gefillmore said...

wow-

this reminds me of the time I made a comment on a forum with 'rosie odonnell', 'possums', and 'gonads' all in the same paragraph-

then the next morning I was wondering who wrote it-

Tibore said...

Wow... from khat to lolcat to... Rice Crispies??... to drug synchronicity... wow! It's free association day at Althouse's blog!!

I'm in ur thred... trippin on ur Spenda... Hai!

Zachary Sire said...

Uh...

!@>$K%FJDOW(@SJDehjd

ricpic said...

Snap Shots

A kid holding a cat on a porch long ago,
A kid holding a cat inside;
One caught squinting in sunlight not so long ago,
One the son of the not yet bride.

David said...

The Khat I knew was a moderate high inducing root that was everywhere in Ethiopia. It was pretty much handed out free on the street and mellowed out a lot of people who had every reason to be under high stress.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

It would be undignified of me to speak - but the cat is out of the bag.

Yes.. is nice to have a tag...

Even if I cant shake the image of Roland Burris from my mind ;)

Fred4Pres said...

I remember mom stuffing the turkey with khat on Thanksgiving and the whole family falling asleep and missing the football games.

Now that is all lost.

AllenS said...

Did you know that Cat Scratch Fever is more than just a song, but an infectious disease?

Jen Bradford said...

I like this one and this one.

Ann Althouse said...

Lem, the baby is so cute. Almost hard to believe it's not a doll.

Freeman Hunt said...

This post is trippy. Maybe there's a Madison cafe or shop that got its khat mixed up with its coffee.

bearbee said...

I Taw A Putty Tat

garage mahal said...

Baby Mahal. Maybe can haz tag?

Jen Bradford said...

Diabeetus cat is pretty great also.

ricpic said...

Talkin' 'bout pinchn loafs, cawfee can make a reluctant loaf loosn; can khat do dat?

Ann Althouse said...

"I'm in ur thred... trippin on ur Spenda... Hai!"

Grind it up really fine before sniffing!

Ann Althouse said...

"Maybe can haz tag?"

That's not how to play the game. Plus, what would Trooper say?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Almost hard to believe it's not a doll.

Snaged it from Google Images.

Titushadaneggsandwich said...

I would like to prefer to be more than just the commenter who speaks of pinching loaves and hog.

While both are incredibly important to my contribution here is so much more than a perfect loaf or huge hog.

Please never forget that.

garage mahal said...

That's not how to play the game.

Ok maybe that was a bit desperate but I'm out of ideas. Nazis and TRex get tags but not Baby Mahal?

chickelit said...

Brooklyn, baby

Zachary Sire said...

Sorry, Titus. I wanted to say something about the rare Clumbers, your humble Wisconsin roots, and a nice set of tits, but there's only so much room for captioning on those photos.

Ralph L said...

I'm hoping TRex will bumble over here and see that something weird is going on.
I believe you have that covered, no help from us.

Titushadaneggsandwich said...

No problem ZPS.

Never forget I am a small town girl who is now in the big city just trying to make her way.

Ron said...

Nazi synchronicity

Isn't that an album from The Gestapo, er, The Police?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Ok maybe that was a bit desperate but I'm out of ideas. Nazis and TRex get tags but not Baby Mahal?

You know garage a little bird told me woman still like to be asked ;)

That's what I did..

Ann Althouse said...

"Ok maybe that was a bit desperate but I'm out of ideas. Nazis and TRex get tags but not Baby Mahal?"

The tags go with things on the front page. You have to get frontpaged to get tagged. Here, I invited people to make LOLcats on a roughly stated subject. Obviously, I'm frontpaging these things. Did you make a LOLcat? No.

Kev said...

Thanks for the frontpage/tag. The lol-khat connection occurred to me when I read this line in the earlier post:

You're not supposed to notice that the actual scene is nothing more than some men lolling about having a drug-fueled argument.

But I had to leave before I could comment again, so I'm glad you picked up on the idea.

(My own lolcat is hurtling towards you in cyberspace as we speak. Kthxbai.)

Trooper York said...

Barbara Woodhouse: To properly train a dog you must use a firm voice. Withold treats. Bend him to your will. Look at this vicious little lap dog we have here. Speak little puppy.
Garage: Woof.
Barbara Woodhouse: Walkies!
(Training Dogs the Woodhouse Way, 1980)

knox said...

... and a warm congratulations to all who got frontpaged, tagged, and are basking in the afterglow...

garage mahal said...

Laugh it up funny girl.

chickelit said...

Lem, the baby is so cute. Almost hard to believe it's not a doll.

Supercute-but I can you from experience that that diaper needs changing.

Palladian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Palladian said...

Um, my LOLCAT is up there, so where's my tag? I want my tag in the list now!

lowercase said...

Is Lem's cat a Havana Brown?

Ann Althouse said...

Sorry, Palladian. Just a lapse.

You were still way in the lead in commenter tags, but forgive me.