August 8, 2007

Jada's Soul Fool.

Did I ever tell you about the time I went to Jada's Soul Food? I went with Nichole and JM who write this blog where they are going to every single restaurant in Madison in alphabetical order. They were in the beginning of the Js when they asked me if I'd like to go, and I picked -- from among the early Js -- Jada's Soul Food. They tried to get me to give letter grades to the food, but I couldn't do it. I'll just say that if you're in Madison and want deep-fried things -- chicken, catfish, pork chops -- and a choice of side dishes from collard greens to spaghetti, Jada's is a great place to drive up for take out. To eat in, it's very informal:

Jada's Soul Food

Jada's Soul Food

One of the owners was doing the frying and serving, and we had a nice talk with her. (She is extremely personable!) We talked about fixing the air conditioning, which was broken on a very hot day, and she was trying to decide whether it was better to put money into improving the place or moving to another location. It is on an out of the way street, but you'll find it -- and because it's over where you're unlikely to drive by and notice it, it's perfectly easy to park. And take out. But it can be fun to eat in, if it's not too hot a day, and if you like the bar-style atmosphere. (This used to be a bar, as you might have guessed.)

Anyway, check out John and Nichole's blog. Reading their post about this, I realized how hard it is to write about food. Imagine forcing yourself to go to all the restaurants in alphabetical order. But I love the idea for a blog. You could do it in your town, if you like practicing the difficult art of writing about food (which John and Nichole accomplish without showing the strain).

And, no, the spaghetti wasn't exactly good, from an adult perspective, but I'm sure that side dish would make one of your young kids happy. There is a macaroni and cheese "side dish" too -- another thing that I think would provide a whole meal for a child -- while you eat the fried chicken. Or the fried pork chop. When's the last time you had a deep-fried pork chop?

23 comments:

Ron said...

Food blogging should be up your alley! Plenty of photo ops; how will trolls complain about well-taken food photos? You can do reviews if you want, or just comment without causing any tension in places you'd like to go back to...you could go alone or bring friends....I would think its a natural for you. Go ahead. Try it in New York!

Roger J. said...

Southern cooking made simple: if its young you fry it, if its old you boil it

MadisonMan said...

It's impressive that they're eating their way through Madison, but *anyone* who rates Cold Stone Creamery above Babcock or the Ice Cream Shoppe needs their tastebuds recalibrated.

Joan said...

I can't comment on Babcock or the Ice Cream Shoppe, having never visited Madison, but I'll agree with MM that Cold Stone Creamery is way over-rated. I can't figure out why non-New Englanders apparently don't "get" ice cream, but it's obvious. Must have something to do with not eating enough of it. Going out for ice cream is such a tradition that I used to meet a date at least as often for ice cream as for drinks, even after college. (The ice cream date has the advantage of leaving you perfectly capable of going back to work, even if that was the last thing in the world you wanted to do on a warm spring afternoon.)

MadisonMan said...

By the way, Prof. Althouse: It occurs to me that Nicole and JM might be able to recommend a good eatery for delectable cold egg salad!

Lars said...

Jeez!!!!!!!
I'll have to take Lipitor just for looking a the photo.

Original Mike said...

Where is Jada's Soul Food located?

Original Mike said...

Never mind. I found it.

PeterP said...

Food looks disgusting, but hey it's got a pool table so who cares?

Roger J. said...

Peter: one strand of southern US cooking has its roots in British cuisine. (please note there are no scare quotes around cuisine).

Chip Ahoy said...

They should take spare serviceware with them just in case.

Maxine Weiss said...

EVERYBODY: Can you believe how much junk Althouse has schlepped from Wisconson to Brooklyn? She's practically taken her whole life with her on the move.

Silly me, I'd have thought Althouse would use this move, --this new opportunity to slough-off, pare down, and shed excess baggage. New beginnings, --wipe the slate clean-- leave all the old behind. Throw off all the old encumberances.

No no no. No matter where she is, Althouse clings to her excess baggage. The new pared-down, shorn and spare Althouse is not to be.

Althouse doesn't believe in travelin' light. Just like the ancient Pharohs gathering treasures for their tombs on their journey to the hereinafter--- Althouse's motto: You can take it with you!

nichole said...

MM: I think JM rated Coldstone higher than Babcock and Chocolate Shoppe because of fond memories and favorite music - part of the whole
experience. (I'm with you, though. Coldstone is the Teflon of ice creams.)

Chip: Good tip. I used to take my own tupperware for leftovers.

MadisonMan said...

Coldstone is the Teflon of ice creams

Exactly. The mouth feel is all wrong.

I look forward to your review of Monty's and Lombardino's. Are you gaining weight by doing this? :)

Maxine Weiss said...

I once went to a Southern foods diner and ordered the "vegetable plate"---all macaroni & cheese. They consider macaroni & cheese a vegetable.

Works for me. What do I know--just a Yankee, here.

Maxine Weiss said...

(President and Mrs. Reagan, both, go to a restaurant, sit down, as the waiter takes their order)

MRS. REAGAN: "I'll have the meat and potatoes.

WAITER: "And the Vegetable?"

MRS. REAGAN: "He'll have the meat aqnd potatoes too."

nichole said...

L and M are not that far off.

Eh, we're about the same mass as before. Unlike pro reviewers, we only go to a place once, and usually forgo drinks and desserts.

LoafingOaf said...

I can't figure out why non-New Englanders apparently don't "get" ice cream, but it's obvious.

Uh, if there's one thing everybody "gets", it's ice cream. Maybe New Englanders need to get over themselves.

Maxine Weiss said...

Well, Southerners don't understand the whole Boston baked beans thing, or steamer clams in the wire basket.....

When is peak Fall foliage in Vermont? I think it's coming up pretty quickly.

AmPowerBlog said...

How's the cornbread? I'll travel a good ways for big, soul-filled chunks of cornbread!

Eli Blake said...

EVERY restaurant?

When they get to 'M' does that mean they will have to eat at every McDonald's in Madison? My stomach is already turning in knots at the thought of that (grimace.)

Ann Althouse said...

Eli: For chains, they just go to one example. I had the same question.

Beth said...

It is a great blog idea, but there are, as of today, according to nomenu.com, 842 restaurants in metro New Orleans--not including fast food or national chains. That's a lot of blogging.