May 20, 2006

"I Shouldn't Be Alive."

Do you watch that TV show? It's always about a couple guys who go out on some free-spirited day trip and get in way over their heads. It's harrowing, but, given the title of the show, you know they're not going to die.

I think about that show when reading some of Nina's dispatches from Europe:
And so it is no surprise that in the afternoon, I want time out.

I want to climb the mountain that shelters Dubrovnik. Sure, I remember the warnings about landmines. But I also read the poignant accounts of mothers scaling the summit daily to pray for their sons whose lives were lost on these hills. And I hear there is a path. And if you stick to the path, you are safe.

I twist daughters’ arms and we set off.

It takes no time at all for me to get lost. One path becomes a dead end. Another leads to a seemingly deserted house with chained dogs growling the minute I come within 100 meters of them.
We know she lives to blog about it.

1 comment:

knox said...

I love that show! I got hooked on it a few weeks ago. It's always a nail-biter. (They're not all extreme-sports-go-wrong...)