May 31, 2005

The difference between men and women -- at the spa level.

Here's an article about the business of spas: how do you get men to go?

Well, put some chunky, dark brown furniture in the waiting room. And describe the treatments in car-mechanic terms like "tune-up." Don't talk about pampering and caressing them. Talk about fixing them for practical purposes. And help them with the whole nude thing:
Televisions were installed in the locker rooms, to distract them from the awkwardness they feel in socializing when naked. Women, in contrast, were happy to read a magazine or chat in the nude.

3 comments:

CM said...

Can I go to the men's spa? I don't find the idea of a stranger caressing me particularly appealing, nor do I enjoy sitting around reading magazines with other nude women. I wonder if there's a whole segment of non-spa-going women like me they're missing.

Unknown said...

That's interesting. At the health club I go to sometimes the men's locker room has a TV, which is always on either CNN, Fox News, CNBC, or ESPN, and it usually draws an audience of a few towel-clad watchers. The women's locker room, on the other hand, doesn't have one. And frankly I'm glad, because when I go with my wife, I have plenty of time to watch TV even if she is nothing but business :)

amba said...

How to get men to go?

In Greenwich Village, for several years there has been a basement establishment (in the same entryway as a laundromat and nail salon) on Thompson Street called "Men Spa: Finger Pressure," staffed entirely by suspiciously glamorous-looking oriental women.

Now, there is another one on West 4th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues called "Why Not? Men's Spa." This one is in a new building rented by a broker who uses the rainbow symbol to signal gays.

I am curious about the legality of these establishments, which seem pretty brazenly upfront about being good old massage parlors. Or do I just have a dirty mind?