April 24, 2005

"I'm a waiter!"

Chris says happily. He's got his summer job -- his first waiter job, the one after which you can always say you have experience as a waiter. I've been a waiter -- i.e., a waitress. In fact, the first job I ever had was as a waitress at the International House of Pancakes. I wasn't very good at it. I found it hard to say: "Hello, my name is Ann, and I will be your waitress tonight. How many will have coffee?" You had to say that. So just say it! I thought you had to say it well, with sincerity, and perhaps somehow conveying the goodness and importance of coffee.

3 comments:

DannyNoonan said...

I had the same problem as a waiter. My first waiter job was at a country club in Elm Grove, Wisconsin. They had great food and a great wine selection. I was really good at selling the specials and upselling wine and that sort of thing. When I went to college I got a job at The Olive Garden. I couldn't sell jack there. I just could not tell people how "good the Chicken Alfredo is tonight" and seem like I meant it.

Working at a restaurant is character-building though. Everyone should do it at some point.

Ron said...

Those who simply don't assume the "goodness and importance" of coffee are not those with whom I wish to associate....


brrrr...the mere thought...

Rachel said...

I felt the same way about my first job(s). I worked at the Gap and had to greet people.