July 7, 2004

"When I'm 64."

Finally, a Beatle actually is 64. Happy Birthday, Ringo! And "A Hard Day's Night" is 40. Hmmmm... buy the DVD. It's got a lot of special features, like "Such a Clean Old Man!' – Memories Of Wilfrid Brambell." I see an Amazon commenter is complaining that Paul McCartney didn't do a commentary track, but, really, Paul's gotten to be a bit of an old bore. If you care about the Beatles, don't you already have the Anthology DVDs and haven't you, therefore, already heard enough from Paul? And I don't think good old Ringo is inclined to blab all that much. He's a decent guy and not a blabbermouth. I love them both, but leave Ringo alone, and Paul's said more than enough already. Just watch the great old movie "A Hard Day's Night." Hey, here's the whole script. A juicy segment:
Oh, wait a minute, don't tell me you're ...

No, not me.

Oh you are, I know you are.

No, I'm not.

You are.

I'm not, no.

Well, you look like him.

Oh do I? You're the first one who ever said that.

Oh you do, look.

[JOHN looks at himself in the mirror.]

My eyes are lighter.

Oh yes.

And my nose...

Well, yes your nose is. Very.

Is it?

I would have said so.

Aye, but you know him well.

No I don't, he's only a casual acquaintance.

That's what you tell me.

What have you heard?

It's all over the place, everyone knows.

Is it? Is it really?

Mind you, I stood up for you, I mean I wouldn't have it.

I knew I could rely on you.

Thanks.

You don't look like him at all.

No comments: