June 16, 2004

Great Movies.

My son, Christopher Althouse has made this List of the Great Movies. It's not my list, but I like a lot of these movies, and I think it's a good list:
1. Rashomon
2. 8 1/2
3. Intolerance
4. Persona
5. L’Avventura
6. The Cranes Are Flying
7. The Bicycle Thief
8. Cries & Whispers
9. Andrei Rublev
10. Seven Samurai
11. Battleship Potemkin
12. Contempt
13. I Am Cuba
14. Children of Paradise
15. L’Atalante
16. Juliet of the Spirits
17. Annie Hall
18. Wild Strawberries
19. Weekend
20. Picnic at Hanging Rock
21. Tokyo Story
22. Sunrise
23. Vertigo
24. Dr. Strangelove
25. The Passion of Joan of Arc
26. Jules and Jim
27. Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
28. Imitation of Life
29. Nights of Cabiria
30. Rosemary’s Baby
31. The World of Apu
32. Ran
33. Some Like It Hot
34. Mulholland Dr.
35. Playtime
36. Breathless
37. Diabolique
38. The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari
39. 2001: A Space Odyssey
40. Alexander Nevsky
41. My Life To Live
42. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
43. Wisconsin Death Trip
44. Chinatown
45. Repulsion
46. Kwaidan
47. Ugetsu Monogatari
48. Pather Panchali
49. Two English Girls
50. Story of the Last Chrysanthemums

Here are the next 56, in alphabetical order:
Aliens
Amarcord
Amores Perros
Aparajito
Belle de Jour
The Birds
The Birth of a Nation
Blowup
The Bride of Frankenstein
The Bride Wore Black
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
City Lights
Cleo From 5 to 7
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
Dancer In the Dark
Das Boot
Fanny & Alexander
Fantasia
The 400 Blows
Frankenstein
Full Metal Jacket
The Godfather
The Gold Rush
Gone With the Wind
Grave of the Fireflies
The Great Dictator
Greed
Hannah and Her Sisters
Heavenly Creatures
Hiroshima mon amour
Horse Feathers
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Ivan the Terrible Part I
Ivan the Terrible Part II
La Dolce Vita
Last Year in Marienbad
La Strada
Manhattan
Modern Times
Network
Night of the Living Dead
Nosferatu
Orphans of the Storm
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Psycho
Rear Window
Rebecca
The Searchers
The Seventh Seal
The Shining
Sleeper
Spirited Away
The Story of Adele H
Sunset Blvd
The Terminator
Throne of Blood
Titanic
The Wizard of Oz

Feel free to copy the lists--link to this blog and give Chris credit--and boldface the ones you've seen or resort the list with your top 50 or whatever. Note that documentaries have not been taken into account. I'd like to see his list of top 25 documentaries.

UPDATE: I went through Chris's lists, and here are the ones I haven't seen: (of the top fifty) Contempt, Sunrise, Imitation of Life, Playtime, Alexander Nevsky, My Life To Live, Two English Girls, Story of the Last Chrysanthemums; (of the next 56) Amarcord, Fanny & Alexander, Greed, Last Year in Marienbad, Orphans of the Storm.

DVDs that have been sitting around the house for ages that are on that list and I've been meaning to watch: Contempt, Alexander Nevsky, Two English Girls, Amarcord.

Additional films on the list that I would actually like to see: Sunrise, Playtime, My Life To Live, Story of the Last Chrysanthemums; Fanny & Alexander, Greed.

Films I will probably never see: Last Year in Marienbad, Orphans of the Storm.

Of the films on his list I've seen, these are the ones I especially like (but I can't put them in order): The Bicycle Thief, L’Atalante, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Nights of Cabiria, Some Like It Hot, Breathless, The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, Aguirre the Wrath of God, City Lights, Cleo From 5 to 7, Grave of the Fireflies, Heavenly Creatures, Modern Times, Psycho, Spirited Away, The Story of Adele H, Sunset Blvd.

My favorite film that's not on the list: My Dinner With Andre.

1 comment:

Wade Garrett said...

I never know how to judge old, classic movies that were very influential in their day, but no longer pack much impact. There are a lot of films on this list that I've seen in one film class or another, and as a student I understand how important they are and how visionary they once were, but which no longer make an emotional impact on me. Sure, 'Marienbad' is more 'important' in film history than is Hannah and Her Sisters, but then Hannah and Her Sisters brings a smile to my face. Which one is better? I would personally rank the films that still, 20 years or 50 years or 80 years after they came out, have an emotional impact on their audience. Accordingly I persoanlly rank Chaplin and some other people like that higher than a lot of other people. But maybe its just because I see characters as being more important than technique. Does that make me shallow?