May 1, 2004

"Nonequipopulous." I'm sorry, I just wanted to write that word. Justice Kennedy uses it in Vieth, the political gerrymandering case that came out this week. What an incredibly silly word! It's easy enough to understand. Just silly.

For some reason, that reminds me of the thing that made me laugh the most at a live theater performance. The play was "A Month in the Country," and at the beginning of a scene, where a number of things were going on, a minor character came out and said "The weather is very salaboobious today." Now that was supposed to be funny, but it was just way too funny compared to everything else that surrounded it, and in fact it brought peals of laughter that continued far into the scene.

Lesson: words shouldn't totally sidetrack the audience. Here, I was trying to read Vieth, and I ended up having to blog about nonequipopulous, a word which currently has only one hit in Google (for Vieth itself). I'm aiming to make it two.

UPDATE: Goal achieved! Ha, ha, ha, ha!

No comments: